When None So Vile came out, people didn't like it right away. Four months after None So Vile's release everyone liked it, but the two first months people weren't sure because it didn't sound like Blasphemy Made Flesh. That's okay, 'cause we expect that for the third album as well.Jon Levasseur / Cryptopsy interview, Chronicles of Chaos, 1998
We thought that both the intro and the outro were fitting for this album, that's why we chose them. Horror movies are cool and we like them just like anything else we like, it has to be good. So we could have just as much used an intro from a documentary.Flo Mounier / Cryptopsy interview, Master of Crutality #9, 1998
We write one song per two, or three or even four months just because; we get a song finished, we give ourselves time to listen to more music, because we don't just listen to death metal - we listen to all kinds of stuff, and we just search for a few months for ideas, for new stuff, for things no one never heard in death metal. The main songwriters are me and Flo; for None So Vile that was very true, I wrote like 85% of the guitar and Flo would obviously help me out structuring and everything and the other 15% came form our ex-guitarist Steve [Thibault].Jon Levasseur / Cryptopsy interview, Chronicles of Chaos, 1998
None So Vile was released by Swedish label Wrong Again Records. Wrong Again folded a year later. The founders - Per Gyllenbäck and Wez Wenedikter - went on to form Regain Records and War Music respectively.
Wrong Again Records was much more professional and gave us everything they promised. We are satisfied with Wrong Again Records and the job they did for "None So Vile".Flo Mounier / Cryptopsy interview, Master of Crutality #9, 1998
If you look at None So Vile, there's a lot of stuff we could have put in, for instance I could have put a lot more harmony in my solos. But, our motto is, if we can't do it live, we won't do it on album, because we want to let people know we're natural - what you hear on the album is what you hear live.Jon Levasseur / Cryptopsy interview, Chronicles of Chaos, 1998
The cover is from the painting Herodias with the Head of John the Baptist by Italian Baroque painter Elisabetta Sirani (1638-1665).
The one who came up with the idea for the cover picture was Flo, because he's really good with art; he studied in communications and marketing and stuff like that, and he came up with that and we looked at that and it all clicked right away. The cover is so brutal because when you think of what really happened to John the Baptist, it's so brutal - how he died and for what he died. He died for a dance, the daughter danced and then he got his head chopped off, that's vile, it's "none so vile", because nobody these days would do a dance for somebody's head. Even though there is no blood and guts on the cover, it's classy, it looks good, but it's still very brutal. That's how we like to think of ourselves: we're really brutal but we try to do it in a good way, with good taste and originality. That cover took a lot of people by surprise.Jon Levasseur / Cryptopsy interview, Chronicles of Chaos, 1998
Cryptopsy is a band that shares a sarcastic view on alot of things. We didn't want to use the typical blood and guts stuff that many brutal bands use so when we saw this painting we knew it was right. It's a beautiful painting that displays something brutal and horrifying, just like the music.Flo Mounier / Cryptopsy interview, Master of Crutality #9, 1998